Bob Costas Accuses NBC of Retaliating for His Remarks on Concussions in N.F.L.

An NBC Sports spokesman confirmed which Mr. Costas had been told which he had “crossed the line” yet said the idea was not because he had discussed the topic of brain injuries in addition to football. Instead, the spokesman said, the idea was because Mr. Costas had agreed after the University of Maryland symposium which he could no longer discuss the topic in interviews without prior approval via NBC Sports.

He had not sought approval for the CNN interview, the spokesman, Greg Hughes, said on Monday.

Shortly after the CNN appearance, Mr. Costas said, he was told he could not be part of NBC’s coverage of Super Bowl LII in February 2018. the idea was a sudden breakup between NBC in addition to Mr. Costas, its longtime host of the Olympics in addition to of “Football Night in America,” the network’s highly rated Sunday N.F.L. pregame show. Last year, he described the separation in public as “mutually agreeable.”

The parting was the culmination of Mr. Costas’s wavering commitment over many years to covering the N.F.L. He stepped away via NBC’s coverage inside the 1990s, later saying the decision was because he “had ambivalent feelings about football.” Yet he was a host of HBO’s “Inside the N.F.L.” inside the 2000s in addition to then rejoined NBC’s coverage of the sport inside the 2006-7 season, when the network started off a $0 million-a-year deal with the league for Sunday night games. He continued hosting which program, “Sunday Night Football,” for the next decade, as awareness about the long-term effects of head injuries continued to rise.

During which time, Mr. Costas used the top-rated show’s platform to provide commentary on everything via guns to politics. In a halftime commentary in 2012, Mr. Costas called for “enlightened legislation in addition to controls” on guns a day after a Kansas City Chiefs player shot in addition to killed his girlfriend in addition to then himself.

The network never received criticism or complaints via the N.F.L. about Mr. Costas’s coverage or commentary, including his remarks at the 2017 symposium, Mr. Hughes said.

By the time Mr. Costas appeared at which event, he had already taken a back seat in NBC’s coverage. He hosted the first “Football Night in America” of the 2017-18 football season yet then handed off the remaining shows to Mike Tirico, who had moved over via ESPN to become NBC’s face of major sports events. When NBC eventually announced which Mr. Costas could not participate inside the Super Bowl broadcast, he said which the idea could not have been fair to those who had been there the entire season.

“the idea wouldn’t be right for me to parachute in in addition to do the Super Bowl,” he told The Associated Press weeks before the event. NBC in addition to Mr. Costas officially parted ways last fall, when they agreed to end his contract early.