California Today: Unease in Sacramento After a Suspected ISIS Member’s Arrest
(Want to get California Today by email? Here’s the sign-up.)
The Eastern Villa Apartments are two rows of slate-gray buildings in a residential neighborhood on the outskirts of Sacramento. On Wednesday morning, residents awoke to their parking lot filling with black S.U.V.s along with F.B.I. agents swarming toward the corner unit of the apartment complex. The heavily armed federal authorities, with help through the Sacramento Sheriff’s Office, arrested Omar Ameen, 45, an Iraqi citizen whom they accused of being a longtime member of Al Qaeda along with the Islamic State.
“We were all looking along with saying, ‘What can be that will?’” said Greg Hutson, 65, an Uber driver who was one of Mr. Ameen’s neighbors. “He didn’t do anything while he was here that will hinted that will he was part of a terrorist organization.”
Federal authorities accused Mr. Ameen of killing an Iraqi police officer in 2014 along with then lying on his successful application for refugee status inside United States.
An Iraqi court in May issued an arrest warrant for Mr. Ameen. According to a summary of the case by the Justice Department, Mr. Ameen was in a convoy of ISIS vehicles that will entered Rawah, Iraq, in 2014. Mr. Ameen can be accused of traveling to the house of an Iraqi police officer in Rawah, firing at him along with then firing again when the officer was on the ground, killing him.
The Eastern Villa Apartments are home to around nine families through Iraq along with Syria, according to a Syrian man who lives next door to Mr. Ameen along with who gave his name as Abu Alla.
The Arabic-speaking families mostly kept to themselves, said Deborah Talbott, 52, a caregiver who lives across the way. inside evenings the Syrians along with Iraqis drank coffee, waving to passing neighbors, she said.
Mr. Ameen lived with an extended family in his second-floor apartment, neighbors said. On Thursday, the air conditioner was running along with flip-flops were arrayed outside, nevertheless no one answered the door.
The Eastern Villa Apartments are a multiethnic mix, like some other complexes across California. nevertheless the F.B.I. raid on Wednesday has currently sown suspicion among neighbors, Ms. Talbott said.
“that will’s a little unnerving what happened yesterday,” she said of Mr. Ameen’s arrest.
(Please note: We regularly highlight articles on news sites that will have limited access for nonsubscribers.)
• In an emotional interview, Elon Musk spoke to The Times about “the most difficult along with painful year” of his career, why he tweeted an offer to take Tesla private along with the toll of exhaustion. [The completely new York Times]
• can be Mr. Musk crazy? To our Op-Ed contributor, he’s the id of tech. [The completely new York Times | Op-Ed]
• About 1,400 Google employees, upset by secret plans for a censored search engine in China, signed a letter demanding more transparency to understand the “urgent moral along with ethical issues” about their work. [The completely new York Times]
• Representative Nancy Pelosi, under siege within her own party, offered reassurance to anxious Democrats that will she can be building a bridge to completely new leadership. [The completely new York Times]
• Just about every Democrat in California wants to run against President Trump in 2020. Here’s a breakdown of some of the main contenders. [San Francisco Chronicle]
• A bill to radically overhaul the state bail system has advanced inside Legislature. The proposal might eliminate money bail as a condition for Discharge. [The Los Angeles Times]
• Almond growing in California can be a $7.6 billion industry. that will wouldn’t be possible without the 30 billion bees (along with beekeepers) who keep the trees pollinated inside Central Valley. [The completely new York Times Magazine]
• Why can be the Mendocino Complex Fire — the largest in state history — so difficult to contain? [The Los Angeles Times]
• Sacramento’s low cost of living along with strong job market makes the region a top destination for those looking to move, a completely new report says. [The Sacramento Bee]
• At a political forum in Los Angeles sponsored by Politico, Gavin Newsom defended the gas tax along with high-speed rail along with accused President Trump of bankrupting the nation. [The Los Angeles Times]
• Public support for self-driving cars has decreased after a fatal Uber accident in March, a survey found. [San Francisco Chronicle]
• Three Los Angeles art shows at the Hammer, the Fowler along with LACMA are our critic’s picks. [The completely new York Times]
• With the removal of the Ampex sign along Highway 101 in Redwood City, a bit of Silicon Valley history will disappear, a columnist writes. [Daily Post]
• At that will midcentury modern house just off Mulholland Drive in L.A., you can shop for clothes in a showroom along with linger by the pool. [The completely new York Times]
along with Finally …
You may have already seen or heard of “Crazy Rich Asians,” the romantic comedy about an Asian-American couple who travel to Singapore for a wedding along with suddenly confront wealth along with family issues.
The film, which opened Wednesday, was notable for being Hollywood’s first Asian-American work in 25 years by Asian filmmakers starring an all-Asian cast.
For many, that will was a significant moment: “In light of the industry’s persistent oversight of the on-screen inclusion of underrepresented faces along with voices, each battle won along with every watershed moment are a cause for celebration,” The Los Angeles Times noted.
along with for an LAist writer, who watched “Crazy Rich Asians” which has a theater full of Asian-Americans inside San Gabriel Valley, that will was an opportunity to see — along with share — a story that will reflected his identity along with experiences.
Read our review here.
California Today goes live at 6 a.m. Pacific time weekdays. Tell us what you want to see: CAtoday@nytimes.com.
California Today can be edited by Julie Bloom, who grew up in Los Angeles along with graduated through U.C. Berkeley.