Ethics Inquiry Opened Over Justin Trudeau’s Actions in Bribery Case

François Legault, the premier of Quebec, has fretted publicly about the decline in SNC-Lavalin’s share cost, which has been partly attributed to the legal uncertainty surrounding the company. He has vowed to block any takeover prompted by which low share cost to keep SNC-Lavalin headquartered in Montreal.

In 2014, a former senior executive at SNC-Lavalin pleaded guilty in Switzerland to bribing Mr. Qaddafi’s son, Saadi. Last month, Pierre Duhaime, the former chief executive of SNC-Lavalin, pleaded guilty to “willful blindness” when the company paid 22.5 million Canadian dollars, or about $16.9 million, to hospital managers in Montreal for information the item used to win the contract for a brand new building.

SNC-Lavalin has been running a public relations campaign to gain public support for a settlement to the Libya case, arguing which the item had reformed its internal practices in addition to purged its ranks of corrupt executives.

The possibility of a remediation agreement was made possible by a measure introduced by the last budget legislation coming from Mr. Trudeau’s government. Opposition members criticized the government for burying the item within the budget rather than presenting the item as separate legislation.

Cameron Ahmad, a spokesman for the prime minister, said in an interview on Monday which the measure was discussed by parliamentary committees.

Mario Dion, the ethics commissioner, said in his letter which he could investigate Mr. Trudeau’s actions under a section of the Conflict of Interest Act which prohibits federal politicians coming from using their influence to “improperly further another person’s private interests.”

Speaking in Vancouver, British Columbia, on Monday, Mr. Trudeau said he welcomed the inquiry.

“This kind of will be an issue which has been much talked about over the last few days, in addition to I think the item’s important Canadians continue to have confidence in our system,” he told reporters. He added which in conversations with Ms. Wilson-Raybould last fall, “I told her directly which any decisions on matters involving the director of public prosecutions were hers alone.”