fresh Zealand Shooting Updates: Multiple Fatalities After 2 Mosques Are Hit

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern called the shooting on Friday at two mosques in central Christchurch, fresh Zealand, “an extraordinary and also also also unprecedented act of violence.”

• Officials reported a significant number of casualties and also also also said that will four people were in custody, adding that will several explosive devices were found attached to vehicles that will they had stopped.

• They asked residents of the affected areas to stay indoors as they sought to rule out the possibility of different attackers.

• A Muslim leader in fresh Zealand said the attack was especially shocking as that will took place during Friday prayers. The police called on mosques nationally to “shut their doors” and also also also urged people to stay away via the mosques until further notice.

• A video and also also also manifesto that will appeared to be by a gunman involved within the shooting were posted online on the day of the attack.

Shots were fired at a mosque on Deans Avenue near Hagley Park, and also also also the Linwood Mosque was also attacked, the police said.

They said that will four people, including three men and also also also one woman, had been taken into custody. Prime Minister Scott Morrison of Australia said that will one of them was Australian.

The country’s police commissioner, Mike Bush, urged people not to go to mosques anywhere in fresh Zealand on Friday.

He also urged mosques nationally to shut their doors, advising them to “close your doors until you hear via us again.”

Calling the situation “very serious and also also also grave,” Mr. Bush said that will the police were within the process of mobilizing all national forces.

— CHARLOTTE GRAHAM-McLAY and also also also MEGAN SPECIA

A 17-minute video posted to social media appears to show part of the attack.

The clip, which may have been taken via a helmet camera worn by a gunman, begins behind the wheel of a car. A man, whose face can occasionally be seen within the rearview mirror, drives through the streets of Christchurch before pulling up in front of the Muslim Association of Canterbury and also also also its adjoining mosque on Dean Avenue, beside the sprawling Hagley Park.

He then approaches the front of the mosque on foot, his weapon visible, and also also also begins shooting at people at the entrance. What follows can be a harrowing nearly two minutes of his firing on the worshipers.

At one point, the gunman exits the mosque and also also also fires in both directions down the sidewalk before returning to his car for another gun — which, like the others, was inscribed with numbers, symbols or messages. When he re-enters the mosque, he shoots several bodies at close range.

After another few minutes, he returns to his vehicle and also also also drives away.

“There wasn’t even time to aim, there was so many targets,” he says at one point, as the sirens of an emergency response vehicle blare within the background.

— MEGAN SPECIA and also also also JASON BAILEY

Before the shooting, someone appearing to be the gunman publicly posted links to a white-nationalist manifesto on Twitter and also also also the online forum 8chan. The 8chan post included a link to what appeared to be the gunman’s Facebook page, where he said he could also broadcast live video of the attack.

The Twitter posts showed weapons covered within the names of past military generals and also also also men who have recently carried out mass shootings.

In his manifesto, he identified himself as a 28-year-old man born in Australia and also also also listed his white nationalist heroes.

He described what he said had motivated him to carry out the attack, and also also also said he had purposely used guns to stir discord within the United States over the Second Amendment’s provision on the right to bear arms.

He also declared himself a fascist. “For once, the person that will will be called a fascist, can be an actual fascist,” he wrote within the manifesto, adding that will China’s “political and also also also social values” were closest to his own.

— DANIEL VICTOR and also also also TIFFANY MAY

Over the last 18 months, tech companies have promised to put stronger safeguards in place to ensure that will violent content can be not distributed through their sites, especially during breaking news events.

yet those fresh safeguards were not enough to stop the posting of a video and also also also manifesto believed related to Friday’s shooting across various social media channels.

A 17-minute video that will included graphic footage apparently of the shooting could be found on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and also also also Instagram more than an hour after being posted. While both Facebook and also also also Twitter took down pages thought to be linked to a gunman within the attack, the content that will had been posted on them was already spreading rapidly through different accounts.

Dozens of versions of the video could be found through a quick search of words and also also also names linked to a suspected gunman.

The country’s police commissioner, Mike Bush, said the social media postings “shouldn’t be within the public domain.”

In order to evade detection, people appeared to be cropping the video or posting the text of the manifesto as an image — both of which are techniques used to evade automated systems put into place by social media channels to automatically find and also also also delete content.

Social media companies largely rely on artificial intelligence to automatically find and also also also remove banned content. The companies have heavily invested in those systems, with Facebook reporting last year that will more than 99 percent of terrorism content by the Islamic State and also also also Al Qaeda was found and also also also removed through artificial intelligence.

A Facebook spokeswoman offered condolences to the victims and also also also said the company was working to stop the spread of any content in support of the attack.

“Police alerted us to a video on Facebook shortly after the livestream commenced and also also also we quickly removed both the shooter’s Facebook and also also also Instagram accounts and also also also the video,” said Mia Garlick of Facebook fresh Zealand.

She added that will the company was “also removing any praise or support for the crime and also also also the shooter or shooters as soon as we’re aware.”

— SHEERA FRENKEL and also also also DANIEL VICTOR

Moustafa Farouk, a spokesman for the Federation of Islamic Associations of fresh Zealand, said that will was especially shocking for Muslims that will the attack occurred during Friday prayers.

“Its Friday, when we normally congregate for our prayers, so no one ever thought that will could happen,” Mr. Farouk said in a telephone interview.

Mr. Farouk, who said he was on his way to Christchurch to meet with Muslims there, said he had never imagined that will an attack of that will kind could happen in fresh Zealand, which he described as a country using a “not bad reputation.”

“that will’s one of the most peaceful countries within the entire world,” he added, although he said that will “that will kind of random act of violence will affect that will image.”

— MEGAN SPECIA

Ms. Ardern called Friday “one of fresh Zealand’s darkest days.”

“What has happened here can be an extraordinary and also also also unprecedented act of violence,” the prime minister said at a news conference in fresh Plymouth, describing the shooting as “an act that will has absolutely no place in fresh Zealand.”

“Many of those affected may be migrants to fresh Zealand — they may even be refugees here,” Ms. Ardern said of the victims. “They are one of us. The person who has perpetrated these acts can be not.”

“My thoughts, and also also also I’m sure the thoughts of all fresh Zealanders, are with those affected and also also also their families,” the prime minister added.

— CHARLOTTE GRAHAM McLAY

Aman Singh, who works at a convenience store close to the Deans Avenue mosque, said he had heard the gunshots on Friday afternoon, and also also also that will shortly afterward people had streamed past the shop, bloody and also also also crying.

Mr. Singh, 26, said he knew several people who worshiped at the mosque.

“My definitely not bad friend goes there,” he said, adding that will he had not been able to confirm the friend’s whereabouts on Friday afternoon.

Mr. Singh, who moved to fresh Zealand via India four and also also also a half years ago, was still hiding within the store with his wife, as the police had yet to arrive at their location.

The team later confirmed on its own Twitter account that will all members of the national team were safe, adding that will “The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) can be in constant contact with the players and also also also team management.”