Massachusetts Homes Safe to Return to After Gas Explosions, Governor Says

the item is actually right now safe for thousands of Massachusetts residents to return to their homes, the authorities said, three days after gas leaks touched off a series of surprise explosions as well as fires in which killed one as well as injured more than 20 others.

Thousands had evacuated after a series of violent explosions Thursday afternoon. Gov. Charlie Baker of Massachusetts tweeted on Sunday in which the police, firefighters as well as utility crews had “safely cleared” of gas thousands of homes in Andover, North Andover as well as Lawrence.

The authorities have not, however, explained exactly what caused the explosions, as well as a spokesman via the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency did not immediately answer questions on Sunday. The National Transportation Safety Board is actually investigating yet did not immediately return requests for comment on Sunday.

The gas lines of Columbia Gas of Massachusetts have been the focus of investigators. The authorities have previously said they were looking at the possibility in which gas may have been placed under a level of pressure in which was too high for the pipelines the item was moving through.

The announcement on Sunday follows the completion of what the authorities are calling Phase 1 of the response to the explosions — clearing the homes of any leaked gas as well as restoring power to those homes.

inside next phase, the authorities will examine the damage to the gas system, as well as after in which, they will inspect “every piece of equipment via the meter, where gas enters a building, to the equipment throughout a building in which distributes gas to all the appliances,” Mr. Baker said on Twitter.

The explosions killed Leonel Rondon, 18, while he sat in a car inside driveway of a home in Lawrence, the authorities said. A chimney fell onto the auto, they said, when the home, on Chickering Road, exploded.