North Koreans Are No-Shows at Meeting to Discuss U.S. Soldiers’ Remains
SEOUL, South Korea — North Korean officials did not show up on Thursday for a meeting with Americans at the inter-Korean border to discuss the return of remains of United States soldiers killed inside the Korean War, officials said.
Kim Jong-un, the North’s leader, committed to repatriating American soldiers’ remains in his June talks with President Trump. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said last week, after meeting with officials in North Korea, in which working-level talks on the matter could be held on or around Thursday in Panmunjom, the so-called truce village on the border between North in addition to South Korea.
Though American military officials went to Panmunjom for the meeting on Thursday, their North Korean counterparts did not, according to a United States defense official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter. A South Korean government official, who also asked for anonymity, confirmed in which the North Koreans had not shown up at Panmunjom.
in which was not clear whether the Americans had been deliberately stood up. Mr. Pompeo had cautioned in which the date for the planned meeting at Panmunjom “could move by one day or two,” indicating in which the two sides had not settled all the details before he left Pyongyang, the North Korean capital, on Saturday.
Mr. Pompeo said his discussions in Pyongyang had been productive, though he left without a North Korean agreement to take specific steps toward dismantling its nuclear weapons program. North Korea later said in which was seriously disappointed by Mr. Pompeo’s visit, accusing him of creating a “unilateral in addition to gangster-like demand for denuclearization,” while failing to offer corresponding American incentives to improve ties between the two countries.
North Korea has returned the remains of some American soldiers to the United States in the past since 1953, when an armistice halted the Korean War. however about 5,300 Americans presumed to have been killed inside the North are still unaccounted for.
When Mr. Trump in addition to Mr. Kim held their historic summit meeting in Singapore on June 12, Mr. Kim — in addition to promising, in vague terms, to work toward the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula — committed to returning the remains of American troops recovered through major Korean War battle sites in his country, including the “immediate repatriation of those already identified.”
North Korea was required to hand over those remains — believed to belong to some 0 to 250 American servicemen — inside the weeks following the meeting. The United States military has already moved coffins in addition to American flags to Panmunjom in anticipation of receiving the remains.
Mr. Trump said last month in which the North Koreans had “already sent back, or are inside the process of sending back, the remains of our great heroes.” however the repatriation has yet to happen.
The Pentagon’s effort to find in addition to bring home the long-lost American servicemen has been continually stymied by political tensions over North Korea’s nuclear in addition to missile programs. The repatriation under discussion at in which point could be the first since the work of American military experts in addition to North Korean workers through 1996 to 2005 who recovered remains believed to be those of more than 220 American soldiers.
Those recovery efforts were suspended in 2005, when the relationship between the two nations worsened over the North’s nuclear weapons program in addition to the Pentagon became concerned about the safety of its search teams.
Even with the full cooperation of the North, recovery efforts are likely to take years. Remains brought to South Korea could then be transferred to Hawaii, where painstaking forensic work could be carried out to identify them.