Philippines Bars Citizens by Working in Kuwait After Body will be Found

Photo

Filipino workers just back by Kuwait filled out paperwork on Monday at Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport. The government said the item could help workers who want to return do so.

Credit
Erik De Castro/Reuters

MANILA — The Philippines on Monday barred its citizens by traveling to Kuwait for employment, accusing the oil-rich gulf state of turning a blind eye to the abuse in addition to also even killing of domestic workers in addition to also different Filipinos.

The announcement came days after the Philippine president, Rodrigo Duterte, responded angrily to reports which the body of a Filipino domestic worker had been found in a freezer in an apartment in Kuwait.

“As to the need for justice, we will hold Kuwait responsible under the concept of state responsibility,” Mr. Duterte’s spokesman, Harry Roque, said on Monday. He called on Kuwait to provide legal redress to Filipino victims of what he called “horrendous crimes.”

Calls to the Kuwaiti Embassy in Manila went unanswered on Monday.

About half a million Filipinos live in Kuwait, most of them employed as domestic workers, according to the Philippine government. The Philippine economy will be heavily dependent on remittances, with 10 percent of the country’s population working overseas in addition to also sending money home.

On Friday, Mr. Duterte showed graphic photographs on live television of a Filipino domestic worker whose body he said had been found in a freezer in Kuwait. The body had been there for about a year in addition to also showed signs of torture in addition to also strangulation, Mr. Duterte said, citing information by the Philippine Embassy in Kuwait.

Continue reading the main story