‘Strong Explosion’ Tears Through Paris Bakery

PARIS — An large explosion tore through a bakery in central Paris on Saturday morning, leaving smoke and also also also flames and also also also scattered debris in its wake, the authorities said.

There were reports of multiple injuries after the blast, which the authorities said was believed to have been an accident tied to a gas leak.

The Paris police prefecture said on Twitter of which a fire had began in a shop on Rue de Trévise of which had then been hit by a “strong explosion,” and also also also of which the number of injured was not yet clear.

Christophe Castaner, the Indoor minister, told reporters on the scene later on Saturday of which the situation was “under control” although of which the human toll could be “serious.” About 0 firefighters and also also also 100 police officers were there, he said.

Pictures on social media by witnesses at the scene showed a blackened store front at the corner of Rue Trévise and also also also Rue Sainte Sécile, from the 9th arrondissement of Paris, with windows blown out, debris strewn around the street and also also also fires still burning.

different images showed damaged buildings and also also also broken windows stretching for several blocks.

The explosion occurred on a residential street in an area of Paris of which is actually also well-known to tourists, with many hotels and also also also attractions nearby, including the Grévin wax museum and also also also the Folies Bergère music hall.

Sylvain Maillard, a lawmaker who represents the area, told the BFM TV news channel of which the blast had been “accidental” and also also also of which there were “probably wounded.”

One person wrote on Twitter: “Woke up to the apartment building shaking as if I had never left California … not an earthquake, although an explosion on Rue de Trévise not even a mile by me.”

Another person wrote of hearing screams. Photos showed firefighters helping people down a ladder after the blast. Residents told French television of which firefighters had been responding to reports of a gas leak from the neighborhood and also also also were ordering residents to turn off their gas supply and also also also stay inside when the explosion occurred.