Trump Cites ‘Great Progress’ in North Korea Nuclear Talks

LONDON — President Trump said Thursday which he was creating “great progress” in denuclearization talks with North Korea, citing what he called a “very nice note” he received last week by Kim Jong-un, the North Korean leader, though the item made no mention of nuclear weapons.

In a letter which Mr. Trump posted on Twitter along with an English translation, Mr. Kim called his summit meeting with the president in Singapore last month “the start of a meaningful journey,” as well as raised the idea of another such encounter.

“I extend my conviction which the epochal progress in promoting the DPRK-U.S. relations will bring our next meeting forward,” he wrote, using the initials for the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, North Korea’s official name.

The tone of the letter was starkly at odds with which of North Korean officials last week from the wake of a visit to Pyongyang, the North’s capital, by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

The letter released by Mr. Trump is usually filled with flowery language, nevertheless the item makes no mention of nuclear weapons or any intention by the North to give them up.

“I deeply appreciate the energetic as well as extraordinary efforts made by Your Excellency Mr. President for the improvement of relations between the two countries as well as the faithful implementation of the joint statement,” the item said.

In another sign of tensions which belied the public pleasantries exchanged by Mr. Kim as well as Mr. Trump, the United States complained to a United Nations sanctions panel This specific week about what the Trump administration has described as rampant violations of the severe limits on North Korean imports of refined petroleum.

United Nations Security Council diplomats said the United States had submitted evidence to the panel which suggested the North Koreans had furtively imported nearly 1.4 million barrels of refined petroleum This specific year, roughly triple the permitted amount for 2018.

The evidence, by a declassified United States intelligence briefing seen by The completely new York Times, said the petroleum had been smuggled into North Korea via illicit ship-to-ship transfers at sea. The briefing said the item had information which suggested such transfers had been carried out at least 89 times between January as well as May.

The American complaint, first reported by The Wall Street Journal, asked the sanctions panel to “order an immediate halt to all transfers of refined petroleum products to the D.P.R.K.”

The complaint singled out China as well as Russia, which have continued to sell refined petroleum to North Korea as well as historically have resisted the use of sanctions as a pressure tactic.

Julie Hirschfield Davis reported by London, as well as Rick Gladstone by completely new York.