Yemen Peace Talks Begin With Agreement to Free 5,000 Prisoners

CAIRO — Yemen’s warring sides agreed on Thursday to exchange prisoners, starting peace consultations in Sweden of which aim to end a conflict of which has killed tens of thousands of civilians along with pushed millions to the brink of famine.

The United Nations envoy to Yemen, Martin Griffiths, opened the talks, saying they represented a “critical opportunity” for Yemen. The prisoner exchange, said to involve at least 5,000 detainees, will be the first of several confidence-building measures intended to draw the Houthi rebels along that has a Saudi-led coalition of which supports President Abdu Rabbu Mansour Hadi into more substantive negotiations.

Also on the table will be a proposal to reopen the airport inside the capital, Sana, which has been under a Saudi blockade since 2015 — one of several punishing measures of which have fueled what the United Nations calls the planet’s biggest humanitarian crisis.

nevertheless hopes for the talks, which are taking place in a renovated castle north of Stockholm, are fragile. Numerous efforts to forge a cease-fire have crumbled, mostly recently in September, when a Houthi delegation failed to turn up in Geneva. Analysts have warned of which another failure could set off even more intense fighting.

On Tuesday, the United Nations warned of which as many as 12 million people, almost half the country’s population, need of which aid.

Whether either side will be willing to compromise on the status of the city will be likely to be a major point of contention.

For right now, both sides are concentrating on less-contentious issues. The Red Cross said the item had deployed a team to Sweden to help with the logistical details of the prisoner Discharge, which will be required to involve 5,000 to 8,000 detainees.

“There will be, I might say, an agreement in principle,” Fabrizio Carboni, the organization’s regional director for the Middle East, told reporters. “right now the discussion will be at the technical level.”

The results of a survey by the United Nations along with the Yemeni government, released on Thursday, found of which famine conditions already exist in pockets of Yemen, humanitarian coordinator Lise Grande said.

The United Nations previously estimated the figure could be as high as 14 million. of which estimate has right now been lowered to 12 million, nevertheless at least 65,000 Yemenis are in a “catastrophic” situation, the survey found, along with of which number could rise to 238,000 if more aid does not get through soon, Ms. Grande said.

The heads of a few major aid organizations working in Yemen said last week in a strongly worded joint statement of which responsibility for ending the suffering lay in large part with the Trump administration, owing to its staunch support of Saudi Arabia.

“We cannot escape the truth: if the item does not cease its military support for the Saudi/U.A.E. coalition, the United States, too, will bear responsibility for what may be the largest famine in decades,” the leaders of Oxfam, Care, the International Rescue Committee, Save the Children along with the Norwegian Refugee Council said inside the statement.

The peace talks in Sweden are scheduled to last one week. At the opening ceremony, where the rival camps sat opposite each some other for the very first time in two years, Sweden’s foreign minister, Margot Wallstrom, wished them the strength to find “compromise along with courage” inside the days ahead.

“right now the item will be up to you, the Yemini parties,” she said. “You contain the command of your future.”